The Medical Information Bureau (MIB), a Delaware corporation, is the world’s largest insurance reporting agency and represents approximately 500 member insurance companies.
“The Medical Information Bureau (a/k/a, MIB Group, Inc., a/k/a, MIB, Inc., a/k/a, MIB Solutions, Inc.) collects and furnishes information on consumers to all Medical Information Bureau (MIB) member corporations for use in the insurance underwriting process. In addition to an individual’s credit history, data collected by the Medical Information Bureau (MIB) may include medical conditions, driving records, criminal activity, drug use, participation in hazardous sports, and personal or family genetic history, among other facts.
The corporate membership of the Medical Information Bureau (MIB) accounts for 99 percent of the individual life insurance policies and 80 percent of all health and disability policies issued in the United States and Canada.” According to the Federal Trade Commission:
“Under stipulated rules, approved by the Federal Trade Commission staff and agreed to by the reporting agency, the Medical Information Bureau (MIB), all insurance companies who are members of the Medical Information Bureau (MIB) will abide by the Fair Credit Reporting Act requirement that an individual be informed when a consumer report played any part in the insurer’s decision to deny coverage or to charge a higher rate. All consumers are entitled to receive a free copy of their medical report from the Medical Information Bureau, if requested, to verify that all information is correct.”
Source: Federal Trade Commission Press Release, “Nation’s Largest Insurance Reporting Agency Agrees To Expand Consumer Rights – Fair Credit Reporting Act requirements to apply to insurance investigations under new policy accepted by Medical Information Bureau.” Dated, June 21, 1995.
[Link to FTC press release at http://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/1995/06/medical-information-bureau]
There are some the technology and web-based information products that the Medical Information Bureau (MIB) offers to its member insurance and health care corporations:
- “MIB Codes Portal: WEB 2.0” – In June 2008, the Medical Information Bureau (MIB) introduced a new, web-based version of the MIB Coding Manual that provides underwriters a user-friendly interface and effortless navigation. More than just an electronic book, the “MIB Codes Portal” uses a WEB 2.0 approach that allows the Medical Information Bureau (MIB) to continually enhance the “portal” to offer underwriters easy access to information well beyond traditional coding reference information.
- “WEB-TERM: Secure, browser-based access to MIB services” – WEB-TERM, offered by MIB, Inc., provides full-featured Internet connectivity to MIB data services on a single-record basis via a web browser from any Internet connected PC. WEB-TERM is accessible through KnowledgeNow, MIB’s secure Business-to-Business Internet site. WEB-TERM offers rich navigation, drop down menus, and auto fill fields, increasing data entry speed and accuracy.
- “Alpha-Index Processing Service: Advanced, Sophisticated Name-Searching Technology” – The Alpha-Index Processing Service technology, developed by the Medical Information Bureau (MIB), is capable of searching files containing millions of consumer names at the rate of hundreds of names per second. MIB’s search algorithm selects a large number of candidate last name and first name combinations very quickly and then returns only the most relevant records. Whether the first name is Johan, Ivan, or John, and the last name is Smyth, Smythe, or Smith, you’ll find the correct individual.
Under Federal law, all consumers are entitled to an annual copy of their medical report files from the nationwide specialty consumer reporting agencies.
- America’s Largest Insurance Reporting Agency Upgrades to Web 2.0
- Consumers Save Money on Insurance by Verifying Medical Report Files
- More about MIB, Inc.’s Technology Services
- The MIB Coding Manual: the Insurance Bible
- MIB, Inc. WEB-TERM
- All Consumers Get an Annual Medical Report from MIB, Inc.
- MIB, Inc. Corporate Connectivity Solutions
- MIB Checking Service