All consumers of personal health and life insurance are entitled by law to receive an annual copy of their medical report file kept by the Medical Information Bureau, Inc. (MIB). Under an agreement with the Federal Trade Commission in 1995, the Medical Information Bureau, Inc. (MIB), and all insurance companies who are members of the Medical Information Bureau, Inc. (MIB) agreed to abide by the Fair Credit Reporting Act.To obtain a copy of your medical report file from the Medical Information Bureau, Inc. (MIB), you must call 1-866-692-6901 and begin the request process. However, the Medical Information Bureau, Inc. (MIB) does not offer an online source to request, review, or dispute your medical report file.
The Medical Information Bureau, Inc. (MIB), a Delaware corporation, is the world’s largest insurance reporting agency and represents approximately 750 member insurance companies. “The Medical Information Bureau (a/k/a, MIB Group, Inc., a/k/a, MIB, Inc., a/k/a, MIB Solutions, Inc.) collects and furnishes information on consumers to all Medical Information Bureau (MIB) member corporations for use in the insurance underwriting process.”
In addition to an individual’s credit history, data collected by the Medical Information Bureau (MIB) may include medical conditions, driving records, criminal activity, drug use, participation in hazardous sports, and personal or family genetic history, among other facts. Under Federal law, the Medical Information Bureau (MIB) is a “consumer-reporting agency” and is required by law to provide a free medical report to consumers every 12 months.
THE FIVE STEPS REQUIRED TO REQUEST AND ACQUIRE YOUR MEDICAL REPORT from the Medical Information Bureau, Inc. (MIB):
- CALL THE CONSUMER DISCLOSURE LINE– To obtain a free copy of your consumer medical report file, U.S. residents must call the Medical Information Bureau’s disclosure phone number at 1-866-692-6901 (TTY 866-346-3642 for hearing impaired). (NOTE: The Medical Information Bureau’s telephone number at 1-866-692-6901 is an automated voice recording machine.)
- PROVIDE PERSONAL INFORMATION FOR RECORDING AND VERIFICATION– While on the phone with the Medical Information Bureau’s automated disclosure line, consumers must provide personal identification information to assist the Medical Information Bureau (MIB) in locating your medical report file. Please be aware that all calls are recorded. Furthermore, by submitting your request, you authorize the Medical Information Bureau to collect and validate your personal indentification information with other consumer reporting agencies.
- CERTIFY UNDER PENALTY OF FEDERAL LAW – Please be aware that while on the line with the Medical Information Bureau (MIB), you will be asked to certify under penalty of perjury that the information you provide about yourself to request disclosure your Medical Information medical report file is accurate, complete and you represent that you are the person that is requesting disclosure. Note that failure to provide truthful information to the Medical Information Bureau could subject you to legal penalties, including account notation, monetary penalities, and/or imprisonment. The Medical Information Bureau will not process a request for disclosure without a completed certification.
- MAIL SIGNED DOCUMENTS TO MIB, INC. – After properly completing steps (1), (2), and (3), consumers must sign and mail both (a) request for a Record Search and Disclosure, and (b) proper identification.
- WAIT FOR MIB, INC. TO MAIL YOUR MEDICAL REPORT – Upon receipt of your (a) request for a Record Search and Disclosure, and (b) proper identification, the Medical Information Bureau (MIB) will initiate the disclosure process and provide you with your medical report file.
- Download or Print a Free MIB Report Request Sample Form
- Free Print or Download – MIB Request Form for Annual Disclosure
- Order Your Medical Report File from MedPoint by Ingenix Inc.
- The Insurance Industry Shares Intelligence through the MIB, Inc.
- Get your Medical Bureau Report from the MIB (Medical Information Bureau Inc.)
- Meet the Medical Information Bureau, Inc.
- FTC – Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
- What is the Medical Information Bureau Inc. (MIB Inc.)?