The Medical Information Bureau (MIB) maintains a consumer “medical report” file for every consumer of life and health insurance. In addition to an individual’s credit history, data collected by the Medical Information Bureau (MIB) may include medical conditions, driving records, criminal activity, drug use, participation in hazardous sports, and personal or family genetic history, among other facts.
ABOUT THE MEDICAL INFORMATION BUREAU (MIB) CORPORATION:
The Medical Information Bureau (MIB), a Delaware corporation, is the world’s largest insurance reporting agency and represents approximately 750 member insurance companies. “The Medical Information Bureau (a/k/a, MIB Group, Inc., a/k/a, MIB, Inc., a/k/a, MIB Solutions, Inc.) collects and furnishes information on consumers to all Medical Information Bureau (MIB) member corporations for use in the insurance underwriting process.
In addition to an individual’s credit history, data collected by the Medical Information Bureau (MIB) may include medical conditions, driving records, criminal activity, participation in hazardous sports, and personal or family genetic history, among other facts. The corporate membership of the Medical Information Bureau (MIB) accounts for 99 percent of the individual life insurance policies and 80 percent of all health and disability policies issued in the United States and Canada.”
These are some of the technology and web-based information products that the Medical Information Bureau (MIB) offers to its member insurance and health care corporations:
- “MIB Codes Portal: WEB 2.0” – In June 2008, the Medical Information Bureau (MIB) introduced a new, web-based version of the MIB Coding Manual that provides underwriters a user-friendly interface and effortless navigation. More than just an electronic book, the “MIB Codes Portal” uses a WEB 2.0 approach that allows the Medical Information Bureau (MIB) to continually enhance the “portal” to offer underwriters easy access to information well beyond traditional coding reference information.
- “WEB-TERM: Secure, browser-based access to MIB services” – WEB-TERM, offered by MIB, Inc., provides full-featured Internet connectivity to MIB data services on a single-record basis via a web browser from any Internet connected PC. WEB-TERM is accessible through KnowledgeNow, MIB’s secure Business-to-Business Internet site. WEB-TERM offers rich navigation, drop down menus, and auto fill fields, increasing data entry speed and accuracy.
- “Alpha-Index Processing Service: Advanced, Sophisticated Name-Searching Technology” – The Alpha-Index Processing Service technology, developed by the Medical Information Bureau (MIB), is capable of searching files containing millions of consumer names at the rate of hundreds of names per second. MIB’s search algorithm selects a large number of candidate last name and first name combinations very quickly and then returns only the most relevant records. Whether the first name is Johan, Ivan, or John, and the last name is Smyth, Smythe, or Smith, you’ll find the correct individual.
- “MIB HealthRisk ID” – MIB HealthRisk ID provides a cost-effective way to get timely, relevant and accurate health information so you can fill the gaps in your enrollee health data resulting from: The uninsured; Individuals previously not insured by your plan; Those previously insured with outdated or incomplete claim records. MIB HealthRisk ID lets you: Identify enrollees with qualifying HCC medical conditions early on to optimize risk adjustment transfers; Improve product pricing accuracy by detecting health risks that may otherwise be hidden; Manage potential future claims through early enrollment in your disease management and wellness programs.
- MIB HealthRisk ID is North America’s largest database of medical conditions on insurance applicants. [Including] diagnosed medical conditions from attending physicians, lab test results, qualified physical exams, self-admitted medical conditions. (Source MIB Group, Inc., MIB Solutions, Inc., HealthRiskID.com)
Under Federal law, all consumers are entitled to an annual copy of their medical report files from the nationwide specialty consumer reporting agencies.
- America’s Largest Insurance Reporting Agency Upgrades to Web 2.0
- What is the Medical Information Bureau Inc. (MIB Inc.)?
- MIB, Inc. WEB-TERM
- The MIB Coding Manual: the Insurance Bible
- More about MIB, Inc.’s Technology Services
- MIB Inc. Catches Consumers Because it Can
- MIB Checking Service
- MIB Technology Services to “Catch” Insurance Consumers